While there are many household problems that you can put off for later, fixing roof leaks is not one of them; it should be at the top of your priority list. In today’s post, the local HVAC contractors at GO Green Air discuss the things that can happen if roof leaks are ignored.
1. Damage to the Attic and Ceiling— Both ceiling and roofing support structure are mostly made of wood, which are susceptible to moisture damage. Leaving leaks unrepaired can result in rot and sponginess, which can later lead to collapse or major structural damage. Noticeable water stains, blistering paint, and swollen plaster are other problems down the road if leaks are not fixed in time. If the roofing structure is compromised, your whole house is compromised.
2. Mold and Mildew Growth— Mold and mildew thrive in dark, warm and humid places, such as an attic under a leaky roof or under carpets. Mold, in particular, causes more than just an unpleasant smell and hard-to-remove stains. It can trigger allergies, as well as cause respiratory problems like nasal congestion, rhinitis and asthma. Mold and mildew spores may also find their way to ventilation vents, which, over time, will be hard to remove and will need to be cleaned by your local HVAC repair contractor.
3. Fire Hazard— Water from a leaky roof may find its way to open power outlets or appliances, which can cause shorted wires, resulting in fire hazards. Should this happen to your home, don’t try to unplug the appliance. Instead, turn off power from the panel, then call an electrician to examine it.
4. Slipping Hazard— Roof leaks can form puddles on the floor, which can be a hazard for anyone who isn’t expecting the floor to be suddenly slippery. The risk would be even greater if there are children running about.
5. Higher Utility Bills — Roof leaks can damage the insulation in the attic, which can result in heat leaks. This can increase your home’s indoor cooling requirements during the summer season and raise your monthly utility costs during this period. A poorly-insulated and leaky roof can also let heat escape from your home, which could also raise your utility bills during the winter season.
If you need to have your leaking roof fixed or if you’re looking into getting a new smart HVAC system, call GO Green Air at (925) 284-7336. You can also fill out our contact form to schedule an appointment. We serve customers in Concord, CA, and surrounding communities in California.